What is Bacterial Vaginosis and How is it Treated?
What is Bacterial Vaginosis?
Bacterial vaginosis, frequently abbreviated as BV is a bacterial vaginal infection commonly caused by various bacterial organisms, including the lactobacillus, as well as gardnerella vaginalis.
Although bacterial vaginosis can develop at any age, women between the ages of 15–49 years are at a higher risk.
What are the signs and symptoms of bacterial vaginosis?
Many women may or may NOT show signs of bacterial vaginosis. Major indications of bacterial vaginosis include the following:
- Clear, grey, and/or white vaginal discharge
- Vaginal discharge with a strong “fishy” odor (particularly after sexual intercourse)
- Vaginal itching and/or burning (especially while urinating)
- Vaginal pH that’s greater than 4.5
- Some women may experience little to no pain
How is bacterial vaginosis diagnosed?
A medical professional will inspect the vagina for any signs of discharge. To check specifically for bacterial vaginosis, they may also examine a sample of vaginal fluid.
What are the treatment options for bacterial vaginosis?
Like many other bacterial infections, bacterial vaginosis is treated with. The most common antibiotics used to treat bacterial vaginosis include the following:
- Metronidazole (brand: Flagyl): 500 mg (taken by mouth) twice a day for 7 days
- Metronidazole 0.75% gel (MetroGel-vaginal, Nuvessa, Vandazole): Apply 1 application intravaginally daily or twice a day for 5 days
- Clindamycin 2% cream (Cleocin, Clindesse): Apply 1 application intravaginally at bedtime for 3-7 days
- Clindamycin (Cleocin): 300 mg (taken by mouth) twice a day for 7 days
- Tinidazole: 2 grams (taken by mouth) daily for 2 days or 1 gram daily for 5 days
- Secnidazole: 2 grams (taken by mouth) once
Even if your symptoms resolve, it is critical to take the whole course of antibiotic medication that your doctor has prescribed.
All women with bacterial vaginosis should.
Speak With Your Doctor
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms associated with bacterial vaginosis, talk to your healthcare provider about which medication is best suited for you and send your prescription to Marley Drug. Save up to 95% compared to your local pharmacy by using Marley Drug.