Furosemide (Lasix)–A Common Diuretic to Lower Blood Pressure
What is Furosemide?
Furosemide is used for treating high blood pressure. Furosemide is a type of diuretic, or "water pill," which means it makes your body produce more urine and helps flush out extra water and salt. It is also used to reduce fluid build up (edema) caused by other medical conditions like heart failure, kidney disease, and liver disease. It is pronounced fyr·ow·suh·mide and is also known by its brand name Lasix.
How to Take
Furosemide can be taken. Your dose will be based on your medical condition, age, and responsiveness to the medication. This medication has also been approved for pediatric and veterinary use. As this medication can cause you to urinate, it is recommended to take it at least 4 hours before bed so as not to disrupt your sleep.
The maximum dose of furosemide. It is available as furosemide tablets 20 mg, 40 mg, and 80 mg. A child’s dose will be determined by the doctor using the child’s weight. Take as directed by your doctor or pharmacist.
Common Side Effects
These side effects affect more than 1 in 100 people (1%). If these side effects last more than a couple days or begin to bother you, speak to your pharmacist or healthcare provider.
- Increased urinating
- Feeling thirsty
- Dry mouth
Serious Side Effects
If you experience any of the following side effects, speak to your doctor immediately as they could signify more serious health conditions.
- A high temperature, sore throat, with random bruising or bleeding
- Severe stomach pain
- Severe side pain and/or blood in your urine
- Ringing ears or loss of hearing
Some medications when taken with furosemide can reduce the medicines effectiveness or increase your chances of unwanted side effects. Tell your doctor if you are using or plan to use the following medications:
- Certain mental health medications (e.g., lithium, amisulpride, risperidone, pimozide)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (e.g., )
- Medications used to treat an irregular heartbeat or have the side effect of an irregular heartbeat (e.g., )
- Taking furosemide with potassium supplements can lead to hyperkalemia (too much potassium.)
- Other medications used to treat high blood pressure or have a side effect of lowering blood pressure (e.g., ACE inhibitors, ARBs, calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers)
The average retail price of furosemide 20 mg is $8.88/30 tablets. This average increases to $10.17 for 80 mg tablets.
Get Furosemide at Marley Drug
Marley Drug allows you to order your furosemide online and have it delivered right to you! With our Wholesale Price List you save on your medications with consistent, below average prices. With a 12-month prescription, you’ll only pay $5.83/month for your medication and enjoy free shipping.
Contact us at 1 800-810-7790 with any questions you may have about your prescription or how you can start saving with Marley Drug today.