Losartan (generic Cozaar) for High Blood Pressure
What is Losartan?
Losartan (pronunciation: low·saar·tn) is used for treating hypertension (high blood pressure). It also helps to protect the kidneys from damage due to diabetes. Hypertension can cause a number of serious medical problems like strokes, so it is important to control it with lifestyle changes and/or medical treatment. Losartan potassium is the full name of the drug. It belongs to the drug class angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) and lowers blood pressure by relaxing blood vessels, allowing blood to circulate easier. Losartan is also known by its brand name Cozaar.
Losartan is available in 25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg, and 200 mg. Your healthcare provider will most likely start you at 50 mg and adjust as needed depending on how you tolerate it.
Losartan has been approved for use of children over the age of 6. A child’s dose will be determined based on their bodyweight by the provider.
How to Use?
Losartan is taken orally once a day. It can be taken at any time of day with or without food, depending on your preference.
Side Effects of Losartan
Losartan Common Side Effects
These side effects are not serious and affect more than 1 in 100 people (1%). If these symptoms persist or interfere with your daily life speak to your pharmacist or healthcare provider.
- Joint and/or muscle pain
Losartan Serious Side Effects
It is rare, but losartan can cause other health complications. Be aware of these symptoms and speak to your healthcare professional as soon as you notice them.
- Yellowing of eyes and/or skin—can indicate liver problems
- Severe stomach pain—can indicate issue with pancreas
- Increased bleeding and/or bruising, increased infections, paleness, fatigue, faint/dizziness, or a sore throat and temperature—can indicate blood/bone marrow disorder
- Feeling weak, slow heartrate, pins and needles and muscle cramps—can indicate heightened potassium levels in blood
- Lithium: Losartan may increase the levels of lithium and increase the risk of side effects when taken with lithium.
- Other blood pressure medications: Taking losartan with other ARBs or ACE inhibitors(hyperlink) can increase your risk for low blood pressure and kidney damage.
- Diuretics (water pills): Taking losartan with hctz (hydrochlorothiazide) and other diuretics increases your risk of low blood pressure as they both work to lower blood pressure. (this is to get the keyword of losartan with hctz, not sure if it seems too awkward)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs): Taking NSAIDs such as ibuprofen with losartan can increase your risk of kidney damage as well as reduce the effectiveness of losartan
- Rifampin: Rifampin can reduce the effectiveness of losartan
- Potassium supplements: Taking potassium with losartan can lead to hyperkalemia (high potassium levels) which can cause unpleasant side effects.
The average retail cost of losartan 50mg is $34.74/30 tablets.
Get Losartan at Marley Drug
Marley Drug offers low-cost losartan without insurance through our Wholesale Price List. Get a 6-month supply of losartan for $37 or, for the biggest savings, get a 12-month supply for only $70 shipped free right to you. That’s only $5.83/month with no need to visit the pharmacist!
Contact us at 1 800-810-7790 with any questions you may have about your prescriptions or how to switch to Marley Drug today.
Order Losaratan today from Marley Drug.